I spent much of the Christmas/New Year holidays working out exactly what I wanted to do with Don’t Do An MBA. Traffic is increasing every week and referral revenue with it, but I had to be realistic, Don’t Do An MBA isn’t a business on its own, and I don’t have the time (or interest) to make it one.
The whole point of this blog was to share what I learned when building my business, but somewhere I lost focus and it started becoming yet another one of those “blogging about blogging” sites. The last thing the world needs is another blog about how to blog.
As a result, the articles were becoming more and more SEO focused. See some of the stuff I posted last year and it’s clearly not written with a focus on the reader as much as it is with a focus on Google picking it up and sending me a few clicks.
It sort of works short-term, but it’s dull and pointless.
So it’s time for a reboot and a clear statement about what Don’t Do An MBA is and who it’s for. Here is where I am:
- Articles on Don’t Do An MBA need to be actually useful or interesting to real people. If they aren’t, they don’t get published
- I don’t care about making money directly from the site. No article will be written if generating revenue was the primary purpose
- I enjoy helping people start something new. Building a business is exciting, and I want to be involved in more. Don’t Do An MBA is for those people
- I’m removing the tools that teach you to write for Google, and instead finding tools (such as Grammarly) that help you write for people. I don’t care if I should mention my keyword 2 more times, if it doesn’t fit naturally it’s not going in
- I’m deleting the Google Analytics app from my phone. I’m leaving the code on the site so that in the future I can check stats over time if I want to, but I’m not going to care about it day-to-day
I enjoy writing here and plan to keep it up for many years, but it’s time to take it back to being all about the content and how I can help other people, rather than just another generic blog.
So do me a favour. If you me starting to publish generic SEO looking content again, shout at me!